Every year, all around the world we celebrate the fathers in our life. This year for Father’s Day I wanted to do something special for a special dad in my life: the father of my children. The boys are getting older so it was important for them to be involved in the process of making their dad a unique Father’s Day breakfast. He’s a great dad and he deserves it. For Mother’s Day he and the boys brought me breakfast in bed so it was only fair that we return the favor. I wanted us to cook something easy to make, tasty, nutritious and Texas-inspired. Here’s what we made:
Texas Inspired breakfast tacos with Wright Bacon
A little while back, we briefly lived in Boston, MA. Y’all, I missed Austin so much. The people, the music, my favorite coffee shops, but mostly I missed Austin’s classic breakfast tacos! There weren’t any places I found in Boston that made them and the few times I found breakfast tacos on the east coast I was disappointed. They didn’t have the special something that the breakfast tacos I was used to eating everyday have in Austin, TX. Not even close. The tacos I love are made of scrambled (or fried) eggs, potatoes, cheese, and avocado. For my recipe, I add perhaps the most important ingredient: bacon. More specifically, Wright® Brand Bacon (Naturally Hickory Smoked Bacon). Here’s a recipe you’ll want to try to add a taste of Texas to your Father’s Day breakfast. Easy and delicious. This is what you’ll need:
Recipe – Makes 6 tacos
- 4 eggs
- 2 russet potatoes
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- 8 slices of Wright® Brand Bacon (Naturally Hickory Smoked Bacon) from
- 1 avocado
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- Cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
- Dice your potatoes. Cook them in a pot of salted boiling water. Once they’re soft enough to put a fork through, set them aside.
- Time to cook your Wright® Brand Bacon (Naturally Hickory Smoked Bacon). Turn the oven to 400 degrees. Place the bacon on a slotted broiler tray with a catch tray beneath it for the bacon grease. Make sure the slices don’t overlap. Cook the bacon for 12 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn, you’ll see when it’s done. Could be longer or shorter.
- Cut your bacon slices in half, and set aside on a paper towel to absorb grease.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a larger pan on med-high and then throw in your potatoes. Stir often and cook until golden brown. About 12 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook your tortillas in a different pan on medium heat for about 30 seconds on each side. Set aside.
- Time to cook your eggs. Place them in a pan and quickly break the yolks and constantly break them apart and stir with a spatula. Add the shredded cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir well, they’ll be done fast.
- Arrange the potatoes and scrambled eggs on top of the tortillas. Add salsa and place a slice of avocado on top.
- Then, add your slices of Wright® Brand Bacon (Naturally Hickory Smoked Bacon). You can also cut the bacon into even smaller pieces if you’d like. Then sprinkle with chopped cilantro, season with salt and pepper, et voila! Bon appétit.
What a great Father’s Day breakfast!
Charlie and Jude helped me put the tacos together and we had a lot of fun making this breakfast recipe. It went well, even though Charlie stole more than one full slice of Wright® Brand Bacon from the plate while I was cooking the potatoes, but I don’t blame him. It’s delicious. We put the breakfast on a tray and the boys brought their dad breakfast in bed. As you can see, it was a hit!
I hope your Father’s Day breakfast is as good as ours, and that somehow you incorporate some delicious, fantastic, scrumptious Wright® Brand Bacon into your breakfast tacos or whatever else you make. You can get Wright® Brand Bacon at HEB, and there’s actually a great deal going on right now that you can check out this page this page. Finally, happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, and stay hungry too!